Sunday, April 22, 2007

You never know, do you?

The other day, Joe and I headed into town for a few supplies. And by town, I mean Wal-Mart...because that's pretty much all there is. It was a nasty, gray, rainy day. We drive by an old man walking with crutches. Joe turns to me, and asks if I mind if we give the guy a ride.
"Um, really?" I ask, with flashes of mass murders going through my head.
"He's an old guy...with crutches...in the rain," he says.
I pause, again, and shrug. "If you want."
So we turn around, I roll down my window when we get close, and say: Excuse me, sir, would you like a ride?
He stops, looks at us and says, "Not unless you're going to Hell."

Seriously. He said that.

My eyes go huge, and I silently shake my head. Totally surprised. This dude looks like a slimmer Santa Claus, a nice old man.

"No? Well then..." and he walks off. I turn to Joe, and we just look at each other for a second.
Then Joe says, "Did he just say that...? What in the world did that mean?"
As we drive off, all I can say is "there are lots of strange people in the world."

Later, as we're walking out of Wal-Mart, we see the guy checking out at a register.
Going to Hell, huh? Well, I guess it was close enough.

No comments: