Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Not-So-Weekly Recipe

I tried to make mashed sweet potatoes.  

I failed. 
 
I don't know how.  But I did.  So in an effort to save as much as I could, I made a pie.  You can't go wrong with pie.



Salvaged Sweet Potato Pie

ingredients

1 package graham crackers, crumbled
1/4 - 1/2 cup melted butter
Ground cinnamon
Mashed sweet potatoes (I peeled and diced 4 good-sized potatoes, and boiled them til soft.  I mashed them with some butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and a bit of brown sugar.)
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
More cinnamon, and nutmeg, and allspice


directions

1.  Mix graham cracker crumbs, dash of cinnamon, and melted butter.  Use only as much butter as needed to coat crumbs.  Press into bottom of pie plate.
2.  Scramble egg in a large bowl.  Add sugar (amount depends on how much sugar was used in the "mashing" part.  I used close to 1/2 cup white sugar, but brown sugar would be great, too).  Combine mashed sweet potatoes.  Mix.  At this part, I remembered pumpkin pies need condensed milk...  so I went ahead and added some regular fat-free milk.  I couldn't really say how much, but just enough to thin out the potato mixture.  
3.  Dump in a bunch of spices.  Well, you know.  Whatever seems reasonable.
4.  Mix.
5.  Pour into pie crust.  Bake in preheated oven at 350* for umm...an hour.  It might have been longer.  Just keep checking on it.  It's done when the center doesn't jiggle any more.

It turns out really rustic looking, which I like.  Of course this isn't the best summertime recipe, but it was a nice way to save a misfired meal, and it kinda reminds you of Thanksgiving.  Which is always nice anyhow.

Add a dollop  of whipped cream, and enjoy!

No comments: