Sunday, July 19, 2009

Not-So-Weekly Recipe

The best quiche I've ever had was at Mill Bay Coffee, a local coffee shop in Kodiak, Alaska.

Sorry, Mom.

Ever since that first bite, I've been trying to recreate it on my own.  I've come close.  Close enough.



Vegetable Quiche



ingredients

(Shameful disclaimer:  I cannot make a pie crust.  Can.  Not.  Crust + Me = FAIL.  So I totally cop out and buy ready made.  I usually pick up Pillsbury's rolled out kind where I can use my own pie plate, but this time I went cheap and got the ones in the foil tins.  Not a huge deal, but I'm sure a homemade crust would be one step closer to achieving Mill Bay goodness.  But for that, you're on your own.)
2 deep 9" pie crusts
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 - 12 eggs
Various vegetables - I go with onion, green pepper, squash, and spinach.  Use as much as you can fit into the pans.  Seriously.
1/2 - 1 cup chopped ham (I only add this in one, to placate my non-quiche-fan husband)
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to season


directions

1.  Lightly brown crusts in oven.  350* should do the trick.  Remove before they turn a golden color.  Set aside.
2.  Saute chopped vegetables on stove top.  I think the biggest difference comes in this step.  Technically, the Mill Bay Coffee quiche was ROASTED vegetable.  That's a little much to ask of me.  So I've stuck with the sauteing route, and have been happy.  If you're using spinach, only add it in at the last minute, just to soften the leaves.  Set aside.
3.  In a large bowl, scramble eggs.  Mix in cheeses.  Add in vegetables.  And any meat.  Salt and pepper to your heart's content.  
4.  Pour in enough milk to thin out mixture.
5.  Mix well.
6.  Separate mixture into the two pie plates.  Cook until the eggs set.  You might need to cover the edges of the crust with some foil to keep them from getting too brown.
7.  It takes a while to cook.  Especially depending on how much you fill the pies.  Just remember they're ready when they don't wobble any more.
8.  Remove from oven, let cool slightly, and serve.

Enjoy!  

No comments: